Friday, April 1, 2011

Self-Censorship: The Reality of Living in a Police State

Living in the Arab world during this critical moment in its history is an international relations student’s dream. I’ve had the opportunity to gain insights from a diverse variety of Syrian perspectives as events unfold in real time and firsthand accounts allow me to distinguish truth from sensationalism in the news. This puts me in a perfect position to share facets of the current unrest that may otherwise go unheard. At least that’s what one would think.
However, the dark side of the nature of these events dictates that I will have to abstain from writing about them while I am here. Indeed, the recent arrest of student-bloggers and journalists is an effective means of encouraging self censorship. In light of concerns expressed by family, friends, and Syrian acquaintances and because the situation is becoming increasingly tense, I feel obliged to wait and share my observations when I am in a more secure position to do so. Such is life in a police state.
It is a rather frustrating reality that I cannot open a window to others through which I’ve been able to peer, particularly in the last week. However, I cannot imagine the kind of anger, resentment and sense of hopelessness that many people here feel. It is no wonder they are willing to commit acts of contravention that risk their lives.
This is not to raise an alarm, as Damascus is safer than most American cities. It’s simply a precaution. I plan to continue writing on this blog about travel, sharing pictures, and perhaps eluding on some of the quirky experiences of daily life but, unfortunately, not on the political side of things (at least for now). I’m sorry to disappoint those of you who have expressed interest.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I agree with you 100% on this issue. Your safety is more important than anything. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message and your name!